It’s happening. Soon a major update will be available that will open the door to MacOS v.11. As with previous updates, Big Sur is expected this fall and Mac users can expect the biggest design changes in nearly 20 years. Other notable changes include a massive update of Safari, increased confidentiality and an increase in the number of catalytic applications.
As always, Apple has released an update version so developers can test their applications with this version before releasing them. And although the presentation on the 22nd. In June at the WWDC in Apple Park it seems that we will have to wait until September-October to feel the update.
Many developers have praised the Big Sur update and are confident that Mac users will find many reasons to accept it. The restored design should convey a feeling of freshness but also of familiarity. It has a cleaner look, rounded edges, a lighter appearance and a redesigned menu bar with more consistent icons. And although some of these changes are not innovative, it is a welcome change.
In addition to the design, Safari upgrade and application catalyst, the upgrade will also include basic nuances of the messaging and video editing functionality. It will also be the first MacOS optimized for MRA-based Macs and will be launched later this year. Learn more about the update, including preparing your Mac and installing the new update.
Hardware Requirements for MacOS Big Sur
Whether you’re testing a public beta or waiting for the official release, you need to make sure your Mac does the job. Here are the devices that will perform the update:
- MacBook (2015 or later)
- MacBook Air (2013 or later)
- McMiney (2014 or later)
- MacBook Pro (end of 2013 or later)
- iMac (2014 or later)
- iMac Pro (2017 or later)
- Mac Pro (2013 or later)
What’s new with MacOS Big Sur?
The new MacOS Big Sur update includes major enhancements and new features, some of which have been adopted from iOS.
- Fresh design – The new update offers a fresh and familiar design with a redesigned menu bar, a lighter look and new icons. The design has a cleaner appearance, with rounded corners and more consistent symbols.
- Control and Notification Centers – First of all, Control Center is accessible through the menu bar for easy access to key Mac features. From here you can adjust the brightness and activate the Do Not Disturb Other Functions by pressing a button. On the other hand, in the Notification Center, you’ll see redesigned buttons that look more like iOS buttons. In addition, the relevant reports are clearly grouped and provided with interactive functions to facilitate follow-up.
- Safari Update – Safari on MacOS Big Sur has received a major update that makes the application much faster, safer, and more energy efficient. On the home page you can set backgrounds, add favourites, a list of books and bookmarks. There is also an in-house translator who works with English, French, German, Chinese, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese.
- Standard Applications – Several standard applications have been redesigned, including photos, mail, and notes. Other applications, such as Messages and Apple Music, have become catalysts for applications that have undergone significant changes in the user interface. In particular, the messages have the same functionalities as the iOS version. It includes features such as image search, related conversations, referrals, built-in responses, memoji creation and sharing, and an updated photo selection function.
- Battery Consumption – With this new update, Apple can now tell you more about how your Mac battery works. They also returned the estimate for the remaining battery, which was removed from MacOS Sierra in 2016.
Other features include the ability to edit videos in your Mac photo app, making it easy to customize your videos without using a third-party application. There are also many new and updated start-up sounds, including the iconic MacOS start-up sound.
Do I need to switch to macOS Big Sur?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Even if you’re happy with the latest version of MacOS, system updates are always important to the smooth running and performance of your Mac. The update fixes bugs and offers new features to enhance your experience. MacOS Big Sur is sure to make your Mac operating system smoother and faster.
How long does it take to upgrade to macOS Big Sur?
The time required to upgrade to macOS Big Sur varies and depends mainly on several factors. Factors such as the version of the system you are updating, the speed of your Internet connection, RAM, disk space, etc. determine the time required to perform the update. Here’s an estimate of what to expect:
Prepare your Mac for the upgrade – 10-50 minutes.
Update download – 15-60 minutes
Installing the update – 20-50 minutes
How to prepare your Mac for MacOS Big SurUpgrade
Upgrading your Mac can take up to 50 minutes, depending on the amount of data you back up and the amount of cleaning you do on your Mac.
Step 1. Hard Drive Cleaning for Mac
Manually cleaning the hard disk can take a long time, therefore I recommend using CleanMyMac X. It’s a MacPaw dirt and trash cleaner that effectively finds unnecessary files and cleans them easily. Cache, duplicates and unused language files, there is nothing too big or too small.
How do you clean your Mac hard drive?
- Download CleanMyMac X
- Start the program and go to the Large and Old Files section.
- Click on Scan
- Scroll through the templates, select the unwanted files and click to delete them.
Read my complete overview of CleanMyMac X here >
Step 2. Deleting duplicate files
When you prepare your Mac for the new MacOS Big Sur operating system, it restores the gigabytes of memory occupied by duplicate files, which is a great place to start. Manually identifying and deleting files can be time consuming, but with Gemini 2 it’s easy to do it with just a few clicks. Identical photos to files, this software detects and deletes all duplicate files. All you have to do is scan, select and delete repetitive files.
Download Gemini 2 here >
Step 3. Cancellation of unused requests
Unused apps are another way to lose gigabytes of hard drive space on your Mac. Using the Mac cleaner and uninstaller, select the programs you want to uninstall and click the Uninstall button.
Step 4. Hard disk backup for Mac
Backing up your Mac hard drive gives you peace of mind when it comes to keeping important files safe. Use Time Machine to follow the on-screen instructions and save the data to your external hard drive or iCloud. Whether it’s photos, passwords, contacts, notes or calendars, there are no restrictions.
How to install MacOS Big Sur (Public Beta)
Apple’s Beta Programme is consistent with its mission to provide the best products and services for Mac users. As an Apple developer, you can access MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, and see IOS for the official release for testing and feedback.
To install a beta version of the developer:
- Create a new backup of your Mac in case you need to restore it later.
- Login to Apple’s public beta site and create your account.
- Click the Save Devices button and select macOS.
- Scroll down the page and click on the public beta download program to access your macro.
- Choose permission.
- Double-click beta utility.dmg in the Downloads folder.
- Finally, double-click on the pkg installer and follow the instructions.
Hint: Only new users need to register their Mac.
How to install MacOS Big Sur (official version)
Once the official version of macOS Big Sur is available, it will only take a few clicks to go from the beta to the full version. Open the Mac App Store and find Big Sur. Open the Big Sur page and click the Get button, which will automatically open the Software Update window under System Settings and prompt you to confirm the download. Finally, click Download and follow the installation instructions to install the update.
And that’s it. Big Sur macOS update here. And while you wait for the official release, you can join the public beta to get an idea of what’s in store for you in a few months. This update is expected to deliver many improvements and features, including updates to the design and catalyst application.
The new update is described as a fusion of macros and iOS. The goal is to make the software more responsive and empower Mac users. The major Safari update also aims to make surfing the web faster and more customizable. In addition, the control and notification centres have redesigned the buttons and improved their functionality.
Use the links and simple steps to test the new features in the MacOS Big Sur beta until its official release. Prepare, download and install macOS Big Sur in minutes.
Thank you for reading this report.
PS, visit our website for more useful guides on Mac OS and Windows 10.
Tim is an engineer and small entrepreneur from Northern California. He is a creative writer and an open technical blogger who is passionate about helping people and developing creativity in their minds through manuals, articles and honest software reviews.
preparing macos update stuck,macos catalina clean install vs upgrade,backup mac before clean install,should i use migration assistant,clean up selection mac,will upgrading to catalina slow down my mac,big sur app compatibility list,will big sur slow down my mac,big sur installer,is my mac compatible with big sur,should i update to big sur reddit,is big sur out,macos catalina download,mac os catalina download dmg,macos catalina review,macos catalina patcher,why can't i update my mac,upgrade to high sierra,big sur macos,apple event,can't upgrade to big sur,big sur update time,should i upgrade to big sur reddit,do i need to update my mac to catalina,when will my mac get catalina,is my mac able to upgrade to catalina,upgrade from high sierra to mojave,can you upgrade from yosemite to sierra,can't find software update on mac,clean my mac,macos catalina,macos mojave,macos big sur release date,mac big sur,mac os,mac os versions